Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sick husbands

I'm bored. Oh-my-gosh am I ever bored! It isn't that I don't have plenty to do. It isn't that I haven't done anything already (few loads of laundry, baked muffins and banana bread, picked up after three kids), it's just that there isn't anything else I can do that I also want to do. See, I have a sick husband. Make that VERY sick, he can't keep anything down even a few minutes! I get that, I'm sympathetic really, I am. But when he's awake he's also moaning as if he's dying but I can't keep him asleep because I have three kids in the house.
Sick husbands are worse than sick kids. Sick kids don't want much more than some juice with a straw and your lap. Sick husbands have expectations. Things their mother did - which of course is the only right way. Sick husbands are convinced the NO ONE has had what they have as bad as they have it! And their must be something they can take to feel better. Why are they so sure there is a pill that will take their cold or flu away? Don't they realize we'd have taken it ourselves when we had the exact same thing a few days earlier? Oh- thats right we didn't have it as bad, I mean we were able to get out of bed, feed the kids and start the laundry and they can barely crawl to the bathroom. Well, if there isn't a pill then they need to go to the doctor. Yeah, that's it I'm sure the doctors office wants those viral germs floating around. I refuse to take him because I don't want to stand there looking like an idiot when the doctor says in that condecending voice that it's viral and to come back in a few days if it hasn't improved. I've had that experience enough with my kids thank you very much. So here I sit. Can't vacuum. Can't put the laundry away. Can't even let the kids be kids. But afraid to move or let anyone talk for fear of waking him. Please, God, let this be a short one! The 24 hour bug would be nice, although I do realize that no man has ever only had it for 24 hours. It would just be nice to see it let up a bit. I think. Of course then that means he'll be downstairs. Laying around. Asking for things...

3 comments:

Jill said...

Amen! I hear you loud and clear! I love the line that I get "really you don't understand how bad this is!" No I get it I just can't do anything about it! So deal! Without moaning please!

Anonymous said...

I hope it's 24 hours for your sake. Somebody has a hurt shoulder here and you would've thought his arm had been amputated! Oh the drama! At least with the girls I can kiss their booboos and everybody is happy again.

Marc and Robin said...

I'm totally cracking up! How typical. Hope it gets better soon! Maybe you need to escape from the house today...if you can.