Saturday, October 03, 2009

Sometimes you just get it right.

Trace has been through a lot. A lot of moves and readjustments that is. He's pretty adaptable but he is also still a kid. Our last move was, by far, the hardest on him. I thought that returning to family and familiarity would make it easier but - not so much.
Thursday evening I picked him up from soccer practice. When I pulled up he and a friend were sitting and chatting. He came running over to the car and asked if the friend could ride home on the bus the next day. When I said sure they were both all grins. On our way home we had the following conversation:
T: "I am just so happy."
Me: "You are?"
T: "Yeah, when we moved out here it was really, really hard. But now I know people, I have friends and I'm just really comfortable here. I'm just really happy!"
Me: "Good. That's all we want Buddy."

I haven't been able to shake that conversation from my mind. There are a lot of things that might have happened that would have altered that conversation. Fortunately, the right choices were made and the result is one genuinely happy kid.

1 comment:

Bailey said...

Wow, what a great conversation! It is so special to know that our kiddos, even after a little bit of a struggle with something, find some peace and joy from life. Wow, how wonderful.