Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Facebook, craigslist and other randomness...

Apparently Facebook is pretty popular. According to an article I read the only people without a facebook account are the ones who are afraid of it.(Seriously?) Reality is that I'd never even heard of it until a few months ago when a friend mentioned to Rick that he should open an account. Once he did, I was fascinated by the people who were contacting him. So simply out of curiousity I opened an account too. It has been interesting. I find it fascinating that no one ever writes more than a couple of lines to someone else. I mean someone you haven't seen in 20 years says something like, "it's been a while! Your family is cute." OoKaaay. Asking what someone has been up to might elicit a response like, "you know, not much." No, seriously, I don't know. That's why I'm asking!! Then everytime one of your "friends" writes to someone else it shows up on your board too. I'm not sure everyone is interested that one of my friend's kids needs a haircut, but they get to find out anyway. Then you have the people from your long ago past. The ones who have changed so little. The ones for whom it is all about image. You can pick them out easily by their info page where it lists their activities. Working out, boating, mountain climbing, traveling the world (probably complete with a list of the countries they been to), oh yeah and maybe attending an event of their children's. My activities list includes, um nothing. I have three kids and a husband! We attend church and I feel are pretty grounded. Nothing makes this much more clear than reading about the seemingly empty lives of past schoolmates. Do they think they are empty? Of course not that is why they spend so much time bragging on facebook! I seriously have better things to do and am so glad that life moves on. The people I've met in recent years actually have lives I'm interested in hearing about. And they actually seem to genuinly care about my life. I find the whole facebook thing really interesting and amazingly juvenile. It pulls me a little too close to those high school days. But it does remind me how far I've come. How much I've grown. And what is really important!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Ok I agree! I did facebook a long time ago when it was first out and I hated it! I didn't want to connect with anyone I wasn't already connected with and I hated all the silly emails I got! So who did you get a note from that was from High school?