Monday, October 13, 2008

Ok, seriously

I wish complete strangers would quit telling me how cute Paige is! Don't get me wrong, I want people to think she is cute and love dressing her up, but oh. my. gosh! I made the mistake of going to Value Village on senior citizen day and didn't hear less than 6 times in 20 minutes how cute she was! I always say "thank you" and feel kind of weird about it. What am I thanking them for? I didn't create her adorableness, I just provided the clothes! Not to mention all the attention it focuses on her - which is especially hard when the boys are with me. One elderly man who just happened to be Asian, pointed her out to his wife and said, "look at the little future president." Ok, that was cute! It isn't just the words though it is also THE LOOKS. I know we are being watched, followed with eyes, and in all other manner oogled over. Honestly, I do know you are watching me! I know there isn't anything I can do about it but I have gotten to where I avert my eyes quickly before someone can say something. Or I just don't look at people. Or I smile at them first then turn my attention elsewhere quickly. The funny part of this is that in the beginning, probably the first year, I almost sought out the attention! I loved showing her off and telling people about all we went through to bring her home. Other adoptive parents would complain and I honestly didn't understand why they wouldn't want to show off their children too. NOW I GET IT. It gets old. Really old. Sometimes I just want to do my shopping in peace and without being watched. Is that fair? I know it is asking a lot, I honestly do, and I know we chose to make our family "different" but uugh. So I guess if you run into me at the store, or another adoptive parent and there is no eye contact made, assume it's intentional and just keep going. I really can't believe I'm complaining about this. Most people only have good, kind intentions which makes me feel especially cruel. But if they only knew they were the 3rd, 4th, ...10th person to say something just that day! Oh, and don't ask me "Where I GOT her". Are you kidding me? She isn't an object! Someone actually said that to me the other day and I just wasn't quick enough to say, "On, isle 4, they have several different models." I also don't want to embarasse anyone who only had good intentions. Something tells me that in another year that just may change too!

I took the above picture last night and thought it was particularly appropriate for this post!

1 comment:

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I've been trying to come up with a good comment for this post, but haven't been able to come up with anything profound. We get comments all the time too, but they don't really bother me. I just smile, nod, and look lovingly at Dori...and people tend to just back off.

Hang in there!