Friday, October 24, 2008

Mama Bear

Why do kids have to be so cruel? Even enough to make a grown adult want to get even with them! I can't say that it is so much in response to anger though as it is to sadness. (According to my mother the feeling of hurting for/with you kids never goes away.)
Trace arrived home from soccer practice last night in an absolutely horrible mood! Come to find out two of the boys on the team were telling him he was fat and not any good. Oh-my-gosh that just rips your heart out to hear! He has been trying so hard to fit in too that he is pretending to be playing an online game (that we had said no to) just to fit in. We promised to re-evaluate our decision this weekend. I guess these two kids have also made comments to Trace at recess too. I just wanted to say, "I'll take care of this, don't you worry!" But he's ten, I have to start letting him deal with these issues and can't always run in to help. That's really hard though. I am going to have a real hard time cheering for those two boys at the games from now on. As I was mulling the whole situation this morning it sort of dawned on me that this is just the beginning of a very long road. Middle school kids will always find something to pick on and high school is just one large popularity contest. If we could just put them in a bubble so no one could hurt them it would sure make ME feel better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi -
I know what you mean! I've tried to teach my girls that people who say hurtful things are not happy people - and probably don't feel good about themselves. If they can say hurtful things to others, it probably makes them feel not so bad about themself. I've also encouraged them to pray for them... don't know if that will help you or not - - I've also told them that just because someone says something doesn't make it true.
Trace is an awesome kid!! Amanda misses your kids :)
Darlene