Thursday, January 31, 2008

We are still alive - barely

Ok maybe a little more than barely, but it feels like it. I'm not sure, but this move may just trump our move from Calgary in January '01! Let's see it started last Friday when we found out that we didn't get the second house we made an offer on either. That left us out of time and out of options so we agreed to rent Rick's cousin's house for the time being. Saturday Trace complained of a sore throat so I took both boys to the ped (got a chance to say goodbye at least!) and found out they both had strep. Rick's dad arrived later that afternoon and left that evening with van #1. He had a nightmare trip out, going through three tarps over the Jeep because they kept shredding and getting stranded due to road closures and horrible weather! Then on Monday when I picked the boys up from their last day of school the nurse mentioned how the stomach bug had been going around. As if on cue, Trace started throwing up that night - all over my white shag carpets and his bed of course! At that point I decided to definately fly with the kids since four days in a car with a kid throwing up didn't really appeal to me. So the kids and I got on a 10am flight out of Chicago on Tuesday. Fortunately we had no trouble getting on and the flight went pretty well. Paige even slept about an hour and a half of it! Back in Chicago they were frantically loading the moving van in order to leave by late afternoon. They finally got on the road about 4 and made it just over the border into Iowa for the night. Wednesday morning Rick went out to discover his battery was frozen (that happens in sub zero temps). He sent Ed and Sharon on ahead of him and waited for the tow truck to haul the truck into the garage to thaw it out. Three hours later he was finally on his way too. They got up this morning in Cheyenne Wyoming and headed out early only to be stopped a short while later because the road is closed at Laramie and past due to 73 mph winds blowing semis off the road (not a good situation!). So that gets me up to date with all of you on our happenings! Well, not all of them but as far as the move is concerned. We will be moving in to our new place on Saturday it looks like which is a huge blessing. The kids and I went by yesterday to have a look and pick out bedrooms (I sure miss the days when that was the hardest part of a move!). I am eally anxious to get in and settled and feel like we have a life again. I am running into some problems with the elementary school now regarding Trace's peanut allergy. Please say a prayer that it works out. The nurse I'll have to deal with is a nightmare and I will have to fight for everything - not that I can't, I just don't want to anymore! I'm sure I've bored you to death by now and don't even have any fun pictures to post! Hopefully the trucks will arrive by Saturday and I can load a few pictures!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hi Maier's!!

So glad to hear you are back! Call me when you get a minute... I am happy to help in any way. Talk to you soon.

Heidi and family