Monday, June 20, 2011

Outdoor School 2011

P1090574-2

I remember going to outdoor school as both a sixth grader as well as a counselor a few years later.  Now I can add to those memories the time I went as a cook!  The kids go to the same school I went to and it has always had an amazing outdoor school program.  This year, for the first time in 7 years, they went back to a three day/two night sleep away camp.  It is by far the best memory most of these kids will have of their school years!

P1090585-2

I was given the honor of being able to go along as a cook.  I didn’t realize what an honor it was until after it was over though!  We hit the ground running on Wednesday morning and didn’t stop for three days.  We worked from 5:45 AM until 10:30/11:00 PM and I had one one hour break in three days!  It was an amazing experience to see what goes in to feeding 150 people (cracking 15 dozen eggs and making over 300 pancakes were my personal highlights!).  What I learned though is that once you go, you keep going.  No one wants to give up their spot on the “team” and there were people there who had been coming since their children were in sixth grade.  One man’s last child graduated high school this year and he is thinking he still may be back next year!  It’s that awesome!  No sixth graders in our family next year, but I hope to be there!

P1090589-2-3

1 comment:

Jill said...

So VERY cool! What a great time! Thanks for the email. I am in Utah right now but I will give you a call when we get home.