Sunday, June 15, 2008

I know, it's been a while!






The end of the school year is always so much fun. Teacher gifts to figure out, classroom parties, field day, 1/2 days... You get the idea! Caden's last 1/2 day is tomorrow and Trace is done on the 17th so we are almost there. Then I of course decided to throw in a trip to the beach with all three kids by myself! We packed that little Hyundai until we couldn't fit anything else in then hooked the bikes on the back and took off. It was supposed to be a beautiful weekend but true to the Long Beach Peninsula a cloud bank decided to sit there all weekend except for a couple hours late Saturday. It wasn't miserable by any means just not the 70+ degrees everyone else was having back home. Oh-well we had a good time anyway. It only took me about an hour and a half to get the fire going (and a whole bag of fire starters). It turns out that old, dry wood burns better than new wet stuff. Um, yeah I knew that at one time long before my mommy brain took over and made me look completely incompetent! Apparently I did a good job after that though because we got a really HOT fire going. The boys, of course being boys, were having lots of fun 'helping' me keep the fire going. About 8:30 we decided to drive down to watch the sunset, which was beautiful until the last ten minutes when the clouds blocked everything out. While we were sitting there waiting Caden asked me to look at his hair and tell him what was in it because it felt sticky "or something". I took one look and immediately started laughing - he had somehow managed to scorch the top of his head! Trace and I were laughing but Mr. Style was so embarrassed that he was crying. I took a couple of pictures (against his will) which he grudgingly smiled for. I'm still getting a chuckle out of that one. We spent over 4 hours on the beach Saturday hunkered down in the dunes to avoid the wind and the kids had so much fun. They dug until they couldn't dig any more and we all got a little sun on our cheeks. Well, on Sunday when we finally made it home we couldn't find Tigger who normally greets us at the door. I had my suspicions which were prooved correct shortly when we found him crying in the backyard. That darned cat thinks he should be an outdoor cat despite the fact that he has had no shots and has no coller. So now do we make him and indoor/outdoor cat? Or keep fighting an endless battle? So in short we couldn't start a fire, Caden nearly burned the hair off his head, and we left the cat out with no food or water for two days - but it was a great weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

I've been trying to leave a comment, but my browser keeps quitting on me. Let's see if this goes through...

Great dune pics!

Marc and Robin said...

Great photos. Looks like you guys had a good time and I'm glad you were able to get the fire going!